Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tanley
    • Mar 2024

Do you have any DIY tiling tips for beginners? 🧰

I'm eager to tackle a tiling project in my bathroom, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY. Any advice or step-by-step guides for getting started with tiling?
  • zai430
    • Jan 2024

Believe me, you got this! DIY tiling is totally doable, even for beginners πŸ˜‰

Here's my #1 tip: watch YouTube tutorials before you dive in! Seriously, there's one for every step ..from mixing mortar, cutting tiles, the whole shebang ..Makes it sooooo much easier to visualize the process πŸ’―

As for tools, don't go crazy. A good tile cutter, some spacers, and a notched trowel are the basics. You can rent some of the fancy stuff if you need it πŸ˜ƒ
    ​

Comment

• Monggi
      • Mar 2024

I think starting with small projects is key. Though it might be tempting to dive into a big tiling job, starting small lets you get a feel for the process without overwhelming yourself. πŸ˜Šβ€‹β€‹

Comment

• lingling9
        • Mar 2024

DIY tiling is a very crucial work but if you do understand and skills on how to do it, then you can make them by yourself.
        1. Plan and Measure: Measure the area you want to tile accurately. Calculate the square footage to determine how many tiles you'll need. It's always a good idea to purchase a bit more than you need to account for any mistakes or mishaps.
        2. Choose Your Tiles: Select the type, size, color, and pattern of tiles you want. Consider factors such as durability, ease of maintenance, and the style you're aiming for. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are common choices for various areas.
        3. Gather Your Tools: Make sure you have all the necessary tools and materials. This typically includes tiles, adhesive, grout, spacers, a tile cutter or wet saw, trowels, a level, a measuring tape, a notched trowel, a grout float, and sponges.
        4. Prepare the Surface: Ensure the surface you're tiling onto is clean, dry, and level. Remove any old tiles, adhesive, or grout. If needed, use a patching compound to fill in cracks or uneven areas.
        5. Apply Adhesive: Using a notched trowel, spread tile adhesive evenly onto the surface. Work in small sections to prevent the adhesive from drying out before you can lay the tiles.
        6. Lay the Tiles: Place the tiles onto the adhesive, starting from the center of the area and working your way outwards. Use tile spacers to maintain consistent spacing between tiles. Press each tile firmly into the adhesive to ensure good adhesion.
        7. Cut Tiles as Needed: Measure and mark tiles for cuts where necessary, such as around corners, outlets, or edges. Use a tile cutter or wet saw to make precise cuts.
        8. Allow Adhesive to Dry: Let the adhesive dry according to the manufacturer's instructions before proceeding to grouting. This typically takes 24-48 hours.
        9. Grout the Tiles: Once the adhesive is dry, mix the grout according to the instructions. Use a grout float to spread the grout over the tiles, ensuring that all the gaps between tiles are filled.
        10. Clean Excess Grout: After applying the grout, use a damp sponge to wipe away excess grout from the surface of the tiles. Rinse the sponge frequently to keep it clean.
        11. Final Cleaning and Sealing: Once the grout has dried for about 24 hours, give the tiles a final cleaning with a damp sponge to remove any remaining grout haze. If recommended for your type of tile, apply a sealant to protect the grout and tiles from stains and moisture.
        12. Finish Up: Reinstall any fixtures or trim that were removed, and admire your newly tiled surface!
        ​IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't rush the process. With careful attention to detail, you can achieve professional-looking results with your tiling project. πŸ˜‰πŸ‘Œβœ¨

Comment

• Joro
          • Mar 2024

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming fromβ€”I was in the same boat when I started tiling my kitchen backsplash. One thing that helped me a lot was making sure to prep the surface properly before laying down any tiles. That means cleaning it thoroughly and maybe even sanding it down if it's uneven. And don't forget to use spacers between your tiles to keep everything nice and even! There are tons of tutorials online that break down the process step by step, so don't be afraid to do some research before diving in. Good luck with your project! πŸ› οΈπŸ§Ό

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎