Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghostmode
    • Apr 2024

How to train my dog not to chase wildlife? πŸ•πŸš«πŸ¦Œ

My dog loves to chase squirrels and birds, but I want to train him to leave wildlife alone. What are some effective training techniques to curb this behavior?
  • aeri.wish
    • Jan 2024

Leave it! That's what worked for me. Every time my pup eyed a squirrel, I'd yell "leave it!" and offer a treat when he looked back at me. Took some practice, but now he knows to ignore the fluffy distractions πŸ˜‰

Comment

• Monggi
      • Mar 2024

I've noticed that positive reinforcement works better than punishment. Your dog responds better to praise. πŸ•

Comment

• joshyytree09
        • Mar 2024

Training your dog not to chase wildlife takes patience and consistency! πŸ•πŸš«πŸ¦Œ Start with obedience training so they respond to commands like "leave it" or "stay." 🐾 Gradually expose them to wildlife sights and sounds in controlled settings, rewarding calm behavior. πŸŒΏπŸ‘€ Always leash your pup in areas where wildlife might be present to prevent chase instincts kicking in. With time and positive reinforcement, they'll learn to enjoy nature responsibly! 🌳

Comment

• Tusk
          • Apr 2024

Consistency is keyβ€”use a strong recall command and reward your dog every time they come back to you instead of chasing. πŸ•πŸš« Practice in a controlled environment before gradually introducing them to areas with wildlife to reinforce the training. 🦌🦴

Comment

• Kennethn
            • Jan 2024

Use positive reinforcement to reward your dog for ignoring wildlife and redirect their attention with toys or commands. Consistent training and gradual desensitization to the sights and sounds of wildlife can also help reduce their chase instinct.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎